Sunday, March 11, 2018

Edit Number One Done....

Soon to be released debut novel
The first edit arrived on Friday.  I held my breath. First, her email laid out all the color coding that she had used in my manuscript for changes, strikeouts, additions, recommendations, etc.  It seemed a cut and paste for all authors she works with.  Then, at the end, she said, "The book was excellent--well paced, nicely drawn characters, and it kept me guessing. Great job!"  I let out my breath.

Expecting to see lots of dripping red ink, I opened up the file and started to flip through the pages.  I spotted a few word changes which were good changes, and then pages without anything.  She caught a few funny things - like "where did the broom come from?"  I had to laugh.  Where did that broom come from?  That pickup allowed me to tie a couple of things back to the character's quirks which worked great.  I had a few other small changes or rewordings and it was over.  Not that it didn't take me all day Saturday and part of Sunday to go over each page.  At the end she wrote, "Loved it."  So I returned it to her and will await Round Two.

One thing I did disagree with her about was the addition of an exclamation point within a quote... for example, "Help me!" she screamed.  I was taught never to write that way, that the verb should be strong enough to carry the quote, explain the feeling.. "Help me," she screamed.  Anyway, I'll see what she thinks about that disagreement.  

All in all, I'm still enjoying this journey... the road less taken. 😉

Will keep you updated as I move toward publication!

Till...  or is it 'til?
Judi

No comments:

Post a Comment