Thursday, December 14, 2017

Coming soon...


Well, the process has begun.  I'm working with a graphic designer on the cover, soon an editor will enter the picture and then a release date will be set.   I'm hoping that the process moves quickly and the book will be out by Valentine's day :-) or by Spring.  It is still very exciting. 

I've worked on this particular manuscript for years -- updated it, edited it, rewritten parts of it, put it away for months and then this year decided it was time to let it fly.  November 1st came, which was my drop dead date, and I sent the manuscript out to two publishers.  My feeling at that point was that if it wasn't accepted by a publisher, I was going to self-publish it.

Then, about two weeks later, an email arrived in my inbox from one of them. I had received so many rejection notes throughout the years that I knew what it would say ...  thanks for submitting, but... always a but... it just doesn't fit into what we are looking for at this time, or I just can't take on another author, or.... 

I took a deep breath and opened the email message.  It began the same way... thank you for sending us "She's Not You". I almost closed it at that point but decided to see what excuse they would use... "If that title is stilll available, we would like to acquire it."  I reread it and then let out a "woo hoo" and ran around the office.  It was so thrilling.  For a writer, I don't think that feeling ever goes away, no matter how many pieces you have published.  Every time you send out a manuscript, you are exposing your work to others to read.  If they aren't thrilled with it like you are, it's very disappointing.  By the way, the other publisher loved it as well!!

I told you in an earlier blog that the workshop I took last winter really changed my writing - my characters were deeper; my scenes more senual and real, and the story line stronger and more realistic.  I have one fault as a writer, I fall in love with my characters.  I hate to let them go.  But in this case, there will be a sequel, so I get to follow them on another adventure. 

Writing is not easy and even though I have written and published tons of technical papers, creative writing is very different -- you have to write about real feelings and places, and create characters that the reader will connect to.  So, what I'm trying to tell you is not to give up, don't stop writing, and definitely take workshops and classes where you will receive constructive feedback.

My year is ending on a very high note and I'm hoping to keep that feeling going throughout 2018!  May you all have great happiness and success next year and enjoy good health and good friends along the way.

Happy holidays to you all! 
Judi

No comments:

Post a Comment