Sunday, May 27, 2018

Scotch and soda... jigger of gin!


Well, I'm not really a scotch and soda gal, but I love that song by the Kingston Trio.  Let me go back a bit and take you through this journey of falling in love with that song, the Kingston Trio and other harmonizing groups.  (I also love country by the way.)  Why am I stuck on them these days?  I think it's because of the lyrics - they tell a story.  And the harmonizing is awesome.

Because I do so much driving, I invested in Sirius radio.  It's annoying to find a station that you like only to lose it as you drive out of range, so Sirius it was.  I was driving up to Vermont this weekend and was swtiching back and forth between the 60's and 70's stations when they announced that they had put on a temporary Beach Boys station for a few months.  I turned that on and up and loved it.  .

A weird thing happened... when "The Warmth of the Sun" came on, I thought of one of my characters...  Philip.  He had been left by his girlfriend.  But had he taken it too easily?  Was there a side of him that no one knew existed?  You bet.  LOL, so the Beach Boys helped me to define the darkness hidden in Philip... little did they know.

That's the magic of music.  I've scoured shops and the Internet for CDs of these groups... the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, the Association, the Four Preps, the Four Freshmen... on and on.  Not sure why it works for me, but it does right now.  But who knows, maybe I'll "Switchback" and choose something else... 50's or 40's or even 80s?

Cheers,
Judi





No comments:

Post a Comment